Welcome to John Sedgwick, home of the Generals!
GENERAL JOHN SEDGWICK
Main Office Hours: 7:00 am to 3:45 pm daily
Main Office Phone: 360-874-6090
Main Office Fax: 360-874-6430
Our school is named after Union Civil War General John Sedgwick, who was a teacher before receiving an appointment to the U.S. Military Academy at West Point. Among his commands, was that of the VI Corps which fought in Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg and Rappahannock Station during the war. He died in 1864 at the battle of Spotsylvania Courthouse, where he was personally directing artillery placements, when he uttered his now famous last words, "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance," just before he was struck and killed by a Confederate bullet.
Our Mission, Vision, and Belief:
The mission of John Sedgwick Middle School is to help ALL students reach their full academic, social and emotional potential.
The vision of John Sedgwick Middle School is to protect and promote the right of ALL students to work hard, have fun, make a difference, create and support a safe environment, and take pride in themselves, their work, and our school.
We believe that:
- Students' learning needs are the primary focus of all decisions affecting the work of the school.
- Students learn in different ways and should be provided with a variety of instructional approaches to support their learning.
- Each student is a valued individual with unique physical, social, emotional, and intellectual needs.
- It takes teachers, administrators, parents and the community to share the responsibility for advancing the school’s mission.
- It's always a great day to be a General!